Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Really Good Book

I read a lot. I don't often post about it. I have a sidebar from Goodreads of the books I've read in the current month. I get my love of reading from my Mum. She reads as much as I do. It was funny how quiet things were when I was there and we were both reading a book.

I read a lot of different genres. Most of the time it depends on my mood. The book I've just finished I would class as a family story. It is called What Makes a Family and is by Colleen Faulkner. She's an American author.


I won't give much away. I'm not really that good at book reviews. I end up tending to want to give the plot away! I'll just say that it was a book about several generations of women from the same family. They are gathered at the bedside of the matriarch Mama Brodie who is nearing the end of her life. It is the story of Mama Brodie, her daughter-in-law Birdie, Birdie's daughters Celeste and Abby and Abby's daughter Sarah. It is told through each of their points of view.

It's a really lovely story of secrets, hopes and dreams. It really got me thinking about my own family. I have two sisters, both older than me. It made me wonder how they see me and how my Mum sees us all. We are all quite different women. We get along well with each other, but not overly close. We don't share secrets - at least I don't share with them. As I am so far away from them I don't get to see them very often. They have their own relationship - seeing each other weekly.  I wish I was closer to them so I could see them more. Sometimes I just wonder whether it is Mum keeping us together and in touch. I admit to being a little jealous of them - parts of their personalities. My oldest sister is very bubbly. She has a really infectious smile. I know she gets down but most of the time she appears really cheerful. My middle sister is very organised and super-busy. She seems to have everything together and is very family orientated. I think I'm the odd one out. I've always sort of felt like that. I'm a bit of a dreamer. I know I have traits of Mum and Nana - crafts, reading etc. I wonder what my sisters think when they think of me.  I wonder if it is like this with all sisters.

If you do get a chance, give the book a read. It is well worth the time!

4 comments:

  1. You have got me thinking no about my own family. I am one of six four sisters and a brother, like you I wonder how they view me as we are all completely different. Sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly got me thinking! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. The book sounds good - thanks for the review. I am the eldest sister of 5 girls. Your thoughts of wondering if it was your Mum keeping you together might be right. When my Mom died, we all drifted apart, sadly. xx K

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.